Friday, April 17, 2009

Wrigley's 5 Zing


Flavor: Touting itself as a "sour to sweet bubble" on its outside cellophane wrapper, 5 Zing is just that. On first chew, it's a bit tart and really stimulates the taste buds. Its sour is a pleasant sour, not overly pungent like some other "sour" gums. After a few minutes of chewing, the sour fades to a nice standard bubblegum flavor that you'd expect to find coming from Wrigley's.

Texture:
The texture of 5 Zing is just fine. Nothing special, it works. It stays uniformly firm with continued chewing - it doesn't turn mushy or too hard. It has a slight tackiness to it that I find a little annoying, but it's nothing that would stop me from buying and chewing this gum regularly. Since it's a bubblegum I feel obligated to rate its bubble-blowing abilities... and it rates poorly. The gum is too soft and the bubbles too thin to be able to blow a bubble with any size to it. They call it a bubblegum, but I definitely think that this is more of a bubblegum-flavored chewing gum.

Overall: I haven't been a big fan of Wrigley's 5 line since its inception. I've found the mints to be boring, and the cinnamon just run-of-the-mill. The introduction of 5 Zing changes my opinion of the line drastically. It's a change from the ordinary, a unique chewing experience. I look forward to trying their other new flavor, Solstice (a warm and cool winter) as soon as I see a pack on the checkout line stands.
Rating: oooo (four gumballs)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I tried this gum last week, and I loved your review. I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same stuff as the gum I knew in the 90's a Extra Bubble Gum in the 90's. They had a big TV campaign out at the time, and there weren't a whole lot of sugarless gums out there. All the bubble gum flavored ones were all weird and sour like that, except for maybe Trident, but I digress. I'm pretty sure Wrigley's is re-purposing that weird old formula for the new quirk flavor market (or whatever their probably calling it int he board room) It's still pretty gross even in it's new "we did that on purpose" context.

Unknown said...

This gum is so gross. It tastes interesting at first, but the gum dissolves very quickly and its as if its composition changes as well. I literally had to scrape some "gum" off my tongue. tmi, maybe. But it was gross.

Anonymous said...

I spit this gum out asap! Simply disgusting. Want my money back.

Anonymous said...

I never hated a stick of gum so much that I felt the need to get online and say so. BLAH!!!

Anonymous said...

Vomit flavored gum.

Anonymous said...

Love this gum, it is by far the best gum I have had the pleasure of putting into my mounth and chewing since I was young. Thank-you Wrigley's and keep up the good work! You got a winner here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Big Daddy said...

My third favorite flavor. Elixr and Lush are 1 and 2. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I ate this gum today at school: it tasted okY until after a while it lost it's flavor (10-15 min). I was a little upset, after having most of their gums before. Then the texture of it changed- I could not help but spit it out. It was some of the worst gum I have ever eaten.

tablo said...

This is the worst gum I ever tried. Tastes just like those cherry-flavoured medicines.

Anonymous said...

HATE HATE HATE IT!!!! :( First it tasted like vomit, then it tasted overbearingly sour. I spit it out so quickly, I did not taste the sweet. BLUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Anonymous said...

My sour loving taste buds kind of liked this gum at the start, but after a few minutes of chewing it I got the feeling I was chomping on bubblegum flavored soap... or something I can't describe. I will chew the rest of the pack just for the initial sour flavor, but overall it's a BIG disappointment for me.

Anonymous said...

Best gum ever... I bought 8 3 packs since they were on sale 2/$5. I chew about a pack a day...so addicted!

Anonymous said...

Best gum i have ever had. the flavor is a rush when you first got into it...and it only got better for there. For a week or so, my friends and I have been sitting around, 2 or 3 times a day, and just having a stick of Zing. By far the best suggestion my gum guy has ever given me.

Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwwwwww the most digusting thing i eva tested i want my money bak neva having tht gum eva again NEVA just felt like vomitting pheww luckkaly i got some money off my dad :) phheewww

Anonymous said...

I just bought a pack and my oh my I love 5 -cheap and has a good lasting feeling -- and hey it's sugar free.

Anonymous said...

It is okay but I like rain and the other flavors better.

Anonymous said...

Truly the best gum ever..

Sandy Thompson said...

Craving this gum and looking for it all over the country but I guess they stopped making it :( very disappointing . My favorite gum of all time sour and sweet and I love the smell and taste. I'd buy fifty packs right now if I could get my hands on it!