Friday, October 1, 2010

Wrigley's 5 Elixir

Flavor: I tried this gum a long time ago, when it first came out, and I remember texting Katie, "Gum Alert. 5 Elixir. Do not try - it tastes like just that... Elixir." On first bite, it has a definite cough syrup bitterness to it, although nowhere NEAR the atrocity that is Exclipse Breeze Exotic Berry. The syrupness only lasts for a few seconds, however, and it settles into a nice "mouthwatering berry," accurately described on the product's outer wrapper. It absolutely stimulates the salivary glands. In a way, it's somewhat reminiscent of our beloved Extra Original Bubble, although the initial punch fades really fast into a sweeter berry flavor (not necessarily a bad thing.)

Texture: Fantastic. When you first bite into it, you think it might be a little too tough, but WOW. This is a great texture in a gum. It's really "smooth" in the mouth, almost "shiny" on the tongue. Not too firm and not too soft, it's easy to spread between the teeth for cracking, and it even produces a noteworthy bubble.

Presentation: As I mentioned in my review of Prism, I'm a big fan of 5 packaging. (The only negative would be that they started the whole "flat pack" trend, causing the extinction of my beloved Plen-T-Paks.) I'm admittedly biased, since pink is one of my favorite colors, but I really like the shade of pink used in Elixir's packaging.

Overall: A very, very pleasant surprize. To be honest, I'd been putting off this review because I remember being really nastified by this gum the first time I tried it. A couple weeks ago, Alexander requested that we review this and Lush on our Facebook page, so I sucked it up and picked them up. I don't know if they changed the formulation or something, but I can see this gum being added to my regular rotation of go-to gums. Hopefully Lush will provide the same pleasant surprize.

Rating: ooooo (five gumballs)

16 comments:

Jeanna said...

I think all flavors of Trident layers tastes like cough syrup, but my tween cousin loves it.

Anonymous said...

Pink is also one of my favorite colors! I have never tried a 5 gum before because my mom hasn't bought a pack for me before! When my friend came over in June, I tried the 5 React fruit, and it was a lot like the review! I wonder if my mom liked the mint React.

Anonymous said...

no offense but this blog is kind of stupid

Shannon said...

I don't understand how someone can say "No offense" and then go on to say something blatantly offensive. Thanks for your opinion, Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I feel like Elixir is one of their worst flavors next to the Cinnamon one. It barely tastes like bubble gum, and it has something weird about it. But hey, this is just one person's opinion.

Anonymous said...

^ sorry got confused with this and zing. But i still think its horrible.

Anonymous said...

Never tried it b4 - thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

Ok so I was the one who just posted that I was thinking about trying it. I bought a pack today and it is pretty good. I am a HUGE fan of sugarless 5 gum!

Jooke said...

Its really good!!!

Yellowbird said...

I bought it-----should I chew it???

Anonymous said...

The guy two cubes away from me chews this gum. Do the world a favor -- if you like this gum, chew it only outdoors. It STINKS! It will fill the room with a nasty aroma. It might taste great, but it stinks.

Anonymous said...

The flavor is not very long lasting..

Anonymous said...

to the one who said it stinks....I personally dont think so but a girlfriend of mine hates it when I chew it while we are hanging out...for those times I choose Orbit Bubblemint

ajwilliams33 said...

This is my favorite gum. I have a difficult time finding it in my area so I have resorted to going online to find it (which is how I found this "odd" little blog.

St1v3rs0n said...

I remember three or so years ago when I first tried this gum. It was my favorite flavor, and still is today. But slowly, it became difficult to find Elixir in my area. Fewer and fewer stores kept it in stock. But just this weekend, I rediscovered it in a fancy new package. Now its name is BETA and it transformed colors, too. Now, it's purple. :)
All I can say is that I'm incredibly happy that I found elixir once again. :D

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this gum...but I'm allergic to it. life sucks.