Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ice Breakers Ice Cubes Cool Lemon

Flavor: This gum was recommended to us by our friend Sydney upon reading our review of Ice Cubes Peppermint. The initial punch is really successful-- I found it hard to believe that it was sugar free. A few summers ago I ordered fresh lemonade on the boardwalk and was shocked upon first sip to find a gritty mouthful of sweetness with very little detectable lemon flavor. The attendant had thought he was doing me a favor by slipping me a few extra spoonfuls of sugar, when in fact I actually would have preferred the tart of fresh squeezed lemonade. That's what the first bite of Ice Cubes Cool Lemon is like-- a great big burst of lemon-flavored sugar. It fades quickly, but the lingering flavor maintains the pleasant, if a bit too-sweet, lemonade freshness. I would expect a gum called Cool Lemon to be more sour than sweet. If it were called lemonade, however, I might go into it expecting a much sweeter blast of flavor.

Texture: Much like in the first strawful of lemonade that day on the Jersey Shore, I can't get past the grittiness of this gum. The crunchies are never crunchy, rather they're distracting and stick to your teeth and make for a very unpleasant first minute or two before dissolving into a piece that's just too small for lasting satisfaction.

Presentation: I feel like the marketing on this gum was half baked. The package is a faded yellow, so faded that it's even difficult to decipher the graphics on the front. The ice cube in the graphic does appear to be a giant sugar cube, which is quite accurate, but I'm not sure that's intentional. "Cool Lemon" says little to nothing here, and I don't know what cravings I'm supposed to conjure up looking at slices of lemon and giant urine-colored blocks. I'm being harsh, I know. I just think that "Summer Lemonade" would sell more packages of this particular flavor of gum.

Overall: I may have cringed at the first sip of lemonade that day, but boy did I drink it down. It's doubtful, however, that I'll finish this pack of gum. Sydney sure liked it, though... so perhaps it's a matter of preference. I say, if what I've described sounds good to you, go for it. If not, just buy some lemons and put some in your tea like you do every night, like I do.

Rating: ooo (three gumballs)

8 comments:

Sydney said...

Thanks so much for having me in your review! i really appreciate it! THEY CAME OUT WITH A 3 FLAVOR MEAL GUM!!!! AND A GUM THAT IT UNSTICKABLE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this flavored gum which is extremely hard to find! To each his own...

Anonymous said...

Unless you only chewed it for 2 seconds; the grit goes away very quickly. This gum is very good - and VERY difficult to find. I dont agree with your critique.

Anonymous said...

I really love this one a lot too (very unique flavor)! Only downside with Ice Cubes is the gritty gum is not good for bubble blowing, & the pieces could be a bit bigger. This one is difficult to find. The only place I've ever seen it is at Target stores. (maybe they have an exclusive deal on this flavor).

SWAG YOLO THO said...

THE GUM IS SOOO SEXYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
#thosecubestho....

Anonymous said...

A burst of flavor that fizzles out very quickly! "Long lasting flavor" is false advertising. Disappointed!

Karen Grayam said...

Love this Lemonade flavor!!!

Anonymous said...

I am chewing this gum right now.. flavor is great for the first 10 minutes then after that it gets weaker and weaker with the mint flavor and becomes really bad. I do not recommend this gum! STAY AWAY and do NOT waste your money!