Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Razzles

Flavor: Oh, Razzles. "First it's Candy... Then it's Gum!" Razzles are one of those gums, like Juicy Fruit, that is going to be very hard to categorize. They're just Razzles, you know? Did you know that the red is supposed to be Rasbperry, not Cherry? I didn't... and now that I know? I still kinda don't. I don't think that the target audience of Razzles really pays attention to the flavor, though. In the interest of science, I'll describe it thusly: Razzles are vaguely fruit-flavored, and incredibly sweet. Flavor fades in a record-breaking quickness.

Texture: The texture is what Razzles is all about. They're an anomaly of the gum and candy universe, and I still don't know how they do it. If you've never eaten a Razzle before, you're really missing out. On first bite, they crumble in the mouth not unlike an antacid tablet, and just before your throat gets ready to instinctively swallow the chalkiness, it begins to congeal, and you're left with a wad of gum. It's pretty amazing if you've never experienced it before, and fantastically nostalgic if it's been a while since you've had them. Also? It's disgusting.

Presentation: A few months ago, I bought a packet of these in the drug store to review, but I ate them all before I got the chance to. Luckily a very special Gum Alert reader sent us a pack she found in her local store, packaged for what looks like Halloween. In both cases, a blue "sunburst" is the backdrop for a large, playful Razzles logo, and some computer-generated renditions of Razzles pieces. It's simple, yet eye-catching. No eleven year-old could possibly resist it.

Overall: Razzles is one of those gums that's so special, so near and dear, that it's impossible to not give it five gumballs; It would just be wrong. So, despite the horridness of texture, the sickeningly sugar-sweetness, Razzles earns a place in our coveted five-gumball elite. (And special thanks to Aunt Ann for making this review possible.)
Rating: ooooo (five gumballs)

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Mmmm, I love Razzles! Now I need to find them again.

Zibby28 said...

The rainbow you used on the gumball rating just put a smile to my face. =]

Now I need to go out and try some Razzles for the first time!

PS: The Juicy Fruit link mentioned reviewing all the original Wrigley's flavors. Will we see Big Red, Spearmint, and Winterfresh in the near future?

Anonymous said...

The sour ones are really darn good. I actually like the texture and the taste (although I only had sour). Not a whole lot of the candy turns to gum, but I am personally fine with that.

Anonymous said...

Think any review of Razzles should mention the disgusting brown wad of flavorless gum you end up with...but I love them nonetheless