Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mentos Squeeze Strawberry

Flavor: The flavor here is reminiscent of the pink pellets in fruity Mentos packs, which is a pleasant surprise, especially since I can eat as many as I want and not worry about a sugar rush. The flavor lasts about as long as you can chew and swallow a Mentos candy, however, and quickly stales to a dull berry flavor.

Texture: Ok, so here's the thing, the gimmick here is that in the center of this gum is "99% real fruit filling." Why, that sounds delicious! Look at that delightful strawberry just BURSTING with juicy strawberry filling! I imagined that this imagery would mirror the forthcoming burst of juice I'd enjoy while biting into the gum pellet. But wait... what the... is that POWDER grinding between my teeth? I immediately had to bite another piece in half to inspect. Had this batch gone bad? Was it sitting on the shelf too long and had dried out? Alas, no. This was an intentional powdered fruit filling, like pulverized freeze-dried strawberries, the kind you rehydrate with milk in Special K. There's not enough time to rehydrate this powder with saliva before I'm just chewing on a straight up powder, though. It just doesn't work.

Presentation: False advertising, bro. Not cool. Or at least misleading... I'm not sure many other brands will mimic this gimmick.

Overall: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just think this is stuff is nasty, and now I have a big ol' plastic tub of it to get rid of. Looks like I'll be putting this out with the rest of the gum on my desk on work for public consumption. This one ought to spark some conversation, anyway.

Rating: o (one gumball)

14 comments:

Katers said...

I was skeptical so I bought the gum anyways. I popped in the first piece, and it was delicious. Definitely got the juices flowing in my mouth--awesome! I put in a second piece for good measure, and all was well.

I chewed happily for about 15-20 minutes, longer than I usually do for one round of gum, and that's when it turned to the worst taste in the history of gum. I was almost ill. I decided to spit it out and follow with a fresh piece, but the nasty taste was still there. Had it been hiding all along? Anyway, it was GROSS.

Last time I doubt you guys.

Anonymous said...

Omg i love this gum but y is my starwberry squeeze brown powder on the inside????????

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I looked this gum up. I was chewing a piece with my mom and we both though it was food (we had just eaten). I was about to rage on Acme, but now I know the Mentos company is filled with dumb asses... Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I bought this gum and it is definally not pink the middle. The pack that I bought the middle was brown. There was something wrong with it and it made me sick. So i dod not recommend this gum to anyone. I WILL NEVER BUY THIS GUM AGAIN!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Anonymous said...

ewwwh this gum is so nasty inside. what a waste of 3 bucks man!
why is it brown?
i opened the pack then i read the ingredients and saw it has gelatin and i cannot have gelatin!
WASTE!
DONT BUY THIS GUM ITS NOT STRAWBERRY FIlLING IT IS BROWN SUUGAR LOL

Anonymous said...

I just bought this last night and i said to my mom, i wonder if it has strawberry in the middle, well it DOESN'T!!! That made me mad, now i refuse to eat another piece. Good job they were "buy one get on free"

WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I just bought this last night and i said to my mom, i wonder if it has strawberry in the middle, well it DOESN'T!!! That made me mad, now i refuse to eat another piece. Good job they were "buy one get on free"

WASTE OF MONEY!!!



I SAY LEARN HOW TO SPELL IDIOT!!!

Anonymous said...

It only caught my eye because on the front label it shows the inside of the gum a pink fruity substance, and when you open it, it's a joke.
This is a scam.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this website. Just returned the gum for a refund. My 8 year old son and I bought to share with his sister. He and I started chewing it on the way home from the grocery store and started complaining at the same time about 'crud' in the consistency. Examining it, low and behold inside the egg white shapes is a brownish crumb like filling - so gross. Nothing like the packaging eluding to fresh juicy filling. Why advertise the pretty pink colors when the content of the container is white and brown. Also, why advertise on the containers 99% fruit juice and artificially flavored?! YUCK

Anonymous said...

Ikr! Seriously! The gum is BROWN inside!!!!!

love said...

I just bought this gum today. so when i opened it the gum was not pink when i chewed it. so then i smushed it and the powder inside was brown?????? Why is it brown? yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love said...

that was a schame

Abiola said...

I was quite suprised to see the brown on the inside when I was looking forward to a luscious pink!! I bit through a second one just to be sure I was not eating a batch gone bad. Mentos chewing gum should not tell lies-not good enough!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THEM-they dont have brown in the middle here in UK- not in the batches I have had (about 5 tubs altogether). Sorry guys I genuinely love em!