Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Extra Classic Bubble


Flavor: It's going to be extremely hard to review this gum without comparing it to the greatest gum of all time, Extra Original Bubble (may it rest in peace.) It's your basic bubblegum. It's got a fantastic bubble gum flavor, and if you're a bubblegum person, this is probably in your regular rotation, if not your favorite. On first chew, it's soft and sweet, and it's hard to believe that it is, indeed, sugarfree. I'm reminded of the taste of a pinch of bubblegum Big League Chew. Excellent.

Texture: At first, it's fantastic. It's soft and congeals into a nice wad. But on further mastication, it firms up a little too much. I fear for my fillings a bit with this one for a couple minutes. But fear not, and do not give up the chew - it softens back up into a delightful chewable gum, and allows for small-to-medium sized bubble blowing. Now, despite the taste, this ain't no Big League Chew, and you're not going to be getting Big League sized bubbles out of it, but it does the job.

Overall: A fantastic choice for a bubblegum. Extra gums usually go one way or the other - they either get it really right, or really wrong - and they got this one really right. I can't give it five bubbles for a couple reasons - the interlude of firmness, and out of respect for my beloved Original Bubble. If Extra comes to their senses and brings back Original Bubble, I may someday revisit this review and bump up the stars.
Rating: oooo (four gumballs)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This gum tasted medicinal to me. I had to spit it out. Thank goodness I spent less than a dollar on this. The smell of it alone makes me queasy.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even believe how bad this gum was. The flavor lasted (my colleagues and I were in such shock that we timed it) less than 1.5 minutes. At the same time that the flavor was lost, the gum changed consistency and turned hard, literally becoming uncomfortable to chew. Biggest waste of money!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe they discontinued the Original flavor in the magenta pack. This indeed has to be the best gum ever created. I've only found one that was remotely close (Orbit's Strawberry Remix) which might be similar to the "Original's" but not quite the same. I wonder if I'll ever taste this again. They need to bring this gum back!

Anonymous said...

In the way of sugarfree bubblegum flavor, it's hard to find anything that's easily available and better than this for flavor. Unfortunately, it hardens up WAY too fast. I chewed through 3 packs of these because I bought them all at a discount, and by the end of the last stick I still really liked the flavor... but jeez-leweez, my jaw is literally sore from chewing this for more than 10 minutes at a time. If it could only be softer...

Anonymous said...

it was an ok chewing thing..........but not really

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else review gum with more than one piece at a time? I have found this gum makes a great first impression and the flavor does indeed remind me of big league chew. I never could resist a pinch of big league chew and I really love this gum because (1) it's sugar free and (2) it tastes even better when you double down. I have found it softens up more with two pieces and is comfortable longer.

Unknown said...

Just chewed 3 pieces of this. IT does harden up fast but then goes soft after a minute or so. I agree with whomever said it tastes better when you chew two at one time. Also, like many other Wrigley gums that taste strange, it's better after you chew some of the intensity out of it. The flavor though, is odd. Has kind of a cream/medicine tang to it that doesn't jive with me at first. Doesn't even remotely remind me of Big League Chew. Strange flavor but not all bad.

Anonymous said...

Please Wrigley, bring back Original flavor!!! The most unique and satisfying flavor of any gum ever. Nothing can compare.

Anonymous said...

I used to love chewing Extra Original flavor bubblegum anytime I felt like blowing lots of bubbles. I hope they bring it back soon. I would love to give it to my kids when my wife and I teach them how to blow bubbles.