Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dentyne pure - Mint with Melon Accents


Flavor: This new gum by Dentyne is just fantastic. It packs a punch on first bite, but it's not so cold that it would make your sinuses hurt on a cold day. Although the package labels this gum as "mint," it's pretty obviously a spearmint. The self-described "Melon Accents" are just that, accents, and you really have to pay attention to notice them. I'm not quite sure what the claims of breath purification mean, but apparently the addition of something called "NeutraFRESH" is what makes it happen. Research on NeutraFRESH doesn't yeild much information, but I'm sure it's yet another concoction of chemicals (Retsyn, anyone?) that will eventually lead to our demise. But, for now, NeutraFRESH seems to do a fine job of freshening (purifying) the breath and giving your mouth a clean feeling. There's a liquid goo in the center, though it's not advertised on the package. (I imagine that's the NeutraFRESH. The sweet, sweet NeutraFRESH.)

Texture: With such a good flavor profile and hiply designed packaging, you'd think that Cadbury would have paid more attention to the chewability of the gum. Like most pellet gums, you're presented with a candy shell that provides initial crunch, and then dissolves. The gum that's left here is way too soft, and it doesn't seem to be firming up the longer I chew. It's almost mushy. Between the liquid center, the crunchy shell, and the mushy texture, there's just too much going on here.

Presentation: Although it's the standard pop-out pellet blister pack, the package itself is very nicely done, featuring those "swirlies" that are so popular now. It's really playing up to the iPod generation. I imagine my New York hipster friend, who doesn't own a television and rides his bike everywhere he goes, pulling this gum out of his pocket and offering me a piece as he tries to cleanse his palate of the taste of a soy latte.

Overall: This would be a fantastic, 5-gumball gum if it weren't for the awful texture. It's definitely worth a chew, though, even if only for the NeutraFRESH. And it sure does look impressive when you pull it out at your Favorite Band That No One's Ever Heard of show in the Village.
Rating: ooo (three gumballs)

13 comments:

QuarkQueen said...

I totally agree! I am going to give it oooo 4 gumballs, because at first it is mushy, but it keeps it softer longer instead of getting hard and unchewable. Flavor is lasting longer too! I am a peppermint person and found it in a blue package that just says mint. Love it!

Josh said...

As an avid alcohol consumer, and an avid cigarette smoker while consuming alcohol....I have to absolutely say that this gum is top of the line when it comes to "purifying your breath." I mean seriously, who hasn't had those morning afters where you wake up tasting like you ate onions the previous night?! It happens, and it is the absolute worst. Following a said morning after I hit up the local Turkey Hill (owned by Kroger's for people out side of South East PA) for a breakfast sandwich, saw the stand for the buy 1 get 1 dentyne pure and gave it a try. I popped this stuff in as soon as leaving the market, within seconds all those bad tastes from the night before were gone. Although quite discusting, after a night like that I tend to need to brush my teeth within seconds of waking up, but after chewing that gum, that bad breath taste and smell was gone. This gum is PERFECT for those like myself who tend to enjoy far too many drinks the night before, I will savor this gum and its' lasting effects for ever

-Josh

Unknown said...

Are you the Josh from Real World-he was from philly and smoked/drinked -srry for the stupid question though

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...

Gum Alert does not tolerate hatespeak on our blog, and any racist comments will be removed immediately.

Anonymous said...

you are all losers for blogging about gum... i am so mad at myself for reading this..

Anonymous said...

I have to say that this is my favorite gum! xD Even if you did only give it 3 gumballs... :P

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of the packaging on regular Dentyne Cinnamon gum. Get more innovative like Orbit & 5 gum. That regular foil pack is heavily outdated.

Chelsea said...

I'd picked this up a while ago and keep forgetting I have it, and just came to see what you guys thought. I too wish it wasn't so mushy, and am glad you guys were able to articulate what it is that was so "off" about it.

Matt Harrison said...

I have to disagree with you all... Even though you are the gum experts lol. The thing I really enjoy about the gum is the fact that its soft and it never gets hard! When I chew gum I can chew it for hours on end but with most gums they become hard or flavorless... But, with dentyne pure the flavor lasts and it still remains soft.

Just because I market for them does not mean im biast... lol no but I really do like this gum. I have um CASES in my house! Anyone need gum? lol

www.mattjharrison.com

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this gum. the flavor is good and my breath is fresh. the best part is that I can chew it for more than two minutes. I have TMJ so chewing gum is usually a no-no for me but with this gum I have no jaw pain yay!!!

Anonymous said...

I looked up NeutraFRESH online and all the results came up as hard floor cleaning chemicals. I wouldn't recommend Dentyne PURE if chemicals that are in floor cleaners are used.